Monday, August 27, 2007

A Blog is Born

I keep thinking to myself that I'd like to write more, I really should write more..... I guess now that we've set up this blog, I certainly have an outlet/motivator for it. Mike mainly set it up as a canvas for our pictures. But, I mean, I can't know there's a blog out there with my name on it, that i'm actually a manager of, begging for my mad admin skills, and not write a bunch of the crap that bounces around in my head all day...But is it completely self-important and absorbed to think that people actually have an interest in reading my thoughts and musings? I mean, I get it that if you have kids, blogs are a fun way of tracking their lives, showing pics of the kids, telling funny stories, a nice way to stay up on the family. But seriously, i have nothing but random adventures and personal musings. Why would anyone outside of like maybe three people, two of whom are my parents, actually care?
Like today, for instance... i was thinking about how endearing it is that human beings paint their toenails. Like, if an alien from outer space came to earth, or some anthropologist 2 thousand years from now is looking back at civilization from our time and notices that - Aw! Look at that! Many of the female species decorated their nail beds with colors - it was very customary for this species to do so, in order to look attractive, both in society and to attract a mate. This painting of the nails was so common in fact, so normal, that most females, save a couple of weird ones with blogs, didn't even notice how bizarre the concept is - painting of nail beds? WHY? Because they're hard and paintable? I don't know. For some reason a visual of, say, a hippopotamus with painted toenails comes to mind and the silliness of umm... do they seem more attractive now? Maybe someone knows how/when nail painting got started. I mean the concept of attractiveness and attraction and how it's evolved - from pheremones and scent to jewels/make-up/nailpolish I just think it's kind of endearing in a way. How we human beings try so hard, in often irrational ways, until we don't even realize we're trying.
Note: This series of thoughts occurred as this writer was gazing at her pedicured nails, admiring their prettiness

8 comments:

Aidan's Mom said...

yay!! i found your blog. Count me as person #3 who wants to read your thoughts.
And i'd love it if more hippos painted their nails, it would really make them more attractive and pretty.
Can't wait for more cory-musings!!
Love Jess

Mom & Dad B said...

From Mom B....me too me too....I love your 'musings'. They're such fun to read. Perhaps this person ought to consider painting her toenails at least during the summer while in sandals. It wouldn't hurt for that duration....although might prove to be a distraction when walking the busy street all absorbed in how lovely they look and then get hit by a Mack truck because I find myself suddenly in the middle of the road......teehee. Keep the 'musings' coming. Tell Mike it wouldn't kill him to 'muse' a bit, too.

Mom & Dad B said...

By the way....'Schmucklands'....that's a genuine identifier.

wendyschu said...

Hi Cor--We enjoyed your first blog post, as well as Mike's photos. That was fast! xox, Mom & Dad Schumke

Liz Stone said...

Mike,
I loved the "Schmucklands" too.....hey I paint my toenails all the time ya know..........ha!!! and really enjoy the pedicure...wonder what THAT means.....Cil????? Liz

Fit Momma said...

Hello Mike and Cory Blogger. This is Mike's Sister, Bridgit. Cory, please yes - your instinct to contemplate is greatly appreciated - write more. Give me everything you've got, for I am as curious as all the other human beings on this planet about what makes us tick! So here's a potential topic (or one that I could elaborate on for sure): How is it that we all have a sense of "self," and do you think that maybe, just maybe, we are all the same self? Go - ye thinkers - and blog up a storm!

Anonymous said...

yahoo! a blog... love the hiking photos... Congrats on your engagement... I never paint my toes.

- Michele (Mike's sisters best friend)

Katie Hazard said...

anytime you want to get a mani/pedi i'm down!